Doctors are the savior of life but it’s not possible to have them around always at home, in your gym, workplace, or in any public area and in an emergency it will take time to reach them. But in case of medical emergency like heart attack every second counts so it becomes imperative to know certain measures if someone around us is having heart stroke and first aid to be given. Knowing these first aid measures won’t correct the ailment but yes it can delay the complications and might help in saving someone’s life.
Each year large number of people has heart attacks round the world and many of them survive the attack and go back to their normal lives shortly. Early recognition of the signs and symptoms and quick emergency steps taken can help in bringing person back to life. Symptoms of Heart Attack varies in men and women and can be different in various persons, however there are some basic signs trough which we can recognize a heart attack and take needful action quickly.
A person above the age of 40-50 years complaining of sudden crushing and stabbing pain in heart, breathlessness, palpitations, an uneasy feeling can be a heart attack. Sometimes this pain can radiate to left arm or patient might feel like heartburn, pain in epigastric region, feeling of bloating. Some might confuse these feelings with acidity.
Person also sweats heavily and the pain may be so severe that patient is not able to speak. These symptoms accelerate within fraction of minutes and patient may feel dizzy and can get unconscious. If the patient is conscious and symptoms persist for more than fifteen minutes, this clearly indicate heart attack usually or sudden collapse after complaining about these symptoms is an obvious sign.
After Recognizing These Signs the Steps you Need to Take Immediately are:
- The most important step to be taken whenever you spot a heart attack is call 102 or 911 or whatever is your country medical emergency number. As in the meantime while you give the first aid to the patient, the paramedics will be there on time to handle the patient further. As remember with first aid you are just delaying the attack, it is not going away.
- Do not try taking the patient by yourself to the hospital without giving first aid as heart attack is a deadly disease and can take life even within minutes. While paramedics are trained to treat patient while on the way to the hospital and they get the fastest way to reach hospital.
- Now coming quickly back to the patient, check if the patient is conscious if yes then move him/her into a comfortable position. Make the person lie down or sit down and tell to keep calm as it help in removing excess strain from the heart which increases the chances of faster recovery. It will be best if patient is sitting on the floor with bent knees, leaning against wall and shoulders and head are supported by wall.
- Loosen the clothing if it is tight near chest, neck or waist so that patient can breathe properly and heart gets a proper room to beat. Tight clothing causes strain on heart and lungs both. For example if the person is wearing tie or the upper button of the shirt is closed, remove tie and unbutton the first button of the shirt.
- Check with patient if he/she is a cardiac/heart patient and do carry nitroglycerine tablets along with the, as ingestion of these tablets immediately can help in lowering down the burden on the heart. However if nitroglycerine is not present give patient immediately aspirin (unless patient is not allergic to it or have any other medical condition where aspirin can have danger to his/her health). A 325 mg tablet of aspirin helps in lowering the workload of the heart and improves the blood flow in the body.
- Do not leave the patient unattended, or let them convince you that they are fine. Keep an eye on their pulse, breathing and consciousness. Do not let bystanders crowd the patient. However you can call for the help from nearby people if necessary.
- In other case, if the patient is unconscious first of all while calling emergency number always inform them about it so that they carry defibrillator, oxygen cylinder or ventilator along with them.
- If person seems to be unresponsive or unconscious begin CPR instantly (if you are trained to do it) if not the help from nearby or the on the emergency number they will guide you for the steps to give CPR unless the help arrives.
- In many areas now automatic defibrillator (AED) devices are also installed, especially in malls. If any is present nearby you, use it by following the instruction given in device.
- If the patient is still unconscious and emergency help is taking time to reach due to the chaos and high traffic nowadays please take the patient to the nearby hospital in a car. Also do inform them by calling if possible so they keep everything ready by the time you reach there.
Your these efforts can save someone’s life and also try to have a CPR training as nowadays many hospitals and health centers are providing certified courses of CPR.
Last but much importantly, you must take care of your heart at first place so that such conditions can be prevented. Ayurveda, the science of life offers several medicinal herbs which can help in strengthening your heart and preventing the diseases.
Let’s learn About Some of Them
1. Arjuna (Terminalia Arjuna)
It contains certain flavanoids, phytosterols, tannins, lactones, phenolic compounds and glycosides that are much important for healthy cardiac function. Arjuna has been used since ages to strengthen the muscles of heart and enhance its rhythm and function. This is one of the most commonly used herbs for heart.
2. Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera)
Ashwagandha is a rasayana that helps in sweeping away stress and induces sound sleep which eventually help in healing the heart after whole day of work. Adrenaline is the stress hormone which damage heart muscles adversely and Ashwagandha helps in slowing down its release and circulation in body so that heart is safe and healthy.
3. Gokshura (Tribulus Terrestris)
Gokshura has proven diuretic properties that help in reducing the ACE in the serum and hence helps in relaxing muscles of the heart along with the blood vessels.
Hence, coming to the end I am closing this article with a hope that you all will must initiate to learn the basic tips mentioned and add your drop of help to this suffering world.